500g organic minced chicken
2 spring onions, finely chopped, plus more for serving
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced or grated • black pepper
1 broccoli, cut into florets or 1 winter squash, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch wedges
2 tbsp sesame oil, or extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup pomegranate juice (equal amounts of apple cider or orange juice are great substitutes)
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, using more or less to taste
pomegranate arils and green apple slices
1. Preheat the oven to 200c. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Add the chicken, green onions, ginger, garlic, and a pinch of pepper to a bowl. Mix until just combined. Coat your hands with a bit of oil, and roll the meat into tablespoon-size balls (will make 15-20 meatballs) placing them on one side of the baking sheet. The mix will be wet, but it will firm up in the oven. Add the broccoli or winter squash to the other side of the baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are crisp and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, combine the 1 tablespoon oil, the soy sauce, pomegranate juice, hoisin sauce, honey, vinegar, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Boil 5-8 minutes, until the sauce thickens and reduces by about 1/3. Remove from the heat.
4. Pour about half the sauce over the meatballs, tossing to combine. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce coats the meatballs.
5. Serve the meatballs and sauce over bowls of rice topped with additional green onions, pomegranate arils or thin slithers of crisp, green apple, and sesame seeds. Serve the broccoli on the side.