Thai Beef Salad
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp palm sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ginger, minced
Corianders stems, finely chopped
1 kaffir lime leaf, finely chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
500g stir fry beef strips
1 bunch coriander
1 bunch mint
1 bunch Thai basil
4 long red chillies, sliced diagonally
1 cucumber, deseeded & sliced diagonally
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Combine marinade ingredients except lime juice in a large bowl. Ensure that palm sugar is broken up and fully dissolved.
2. Add beef and combine well, ensuring marinade is evenly distributed. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Pour lime juice over marinating meat to tenderise and mix in. (Combining it in marinade will overcook the meat.)
4. Combine herbs and vegetables in a large serving bowl. Gently take apart leaves and toss. Deseed chillies to reduce spiciness.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan over high heat. Sear beef strips for 30-40 seconds, stirring well to cook evenly. Transfer to plate and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
6. Stir beef so strips are well coated with marinade. Pour liquid over the salad, then place beef strips on top.
7. Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.