Our Junior Chef runner-up Porsha (age 11) shares this delicious recipe for you to try at home!
1½ tbsp Olive Oil
12 raw prawns (tiger/banana/green king) – peeled and deveined
1½ tbsp vegetable oil (or canola)
2 tsp sesame oil
3 large garlic cloves – finely minced
2 tsp ginger – finely grated
1 long red chilli – deseeded
½ cup (125ml) water
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp shaoxing wine (chinese cooking wine)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Sriracha
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
3 tbsp brown sugar (can sub with white)
Red chilli finely sliced
Spring onions finely sliced
Squeeze of fresh lime
1. Heat oil in a large frypan over high heat. Add the prawns and sear for about 45 seconds on each side until golden then remove and set aside.
2. Turn down the heat to medium and add the sesame oil.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook until garlic turns golden.
4. Add water, tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, shaoxing wine, soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, and brown sugar. Stir and increase heat to medium high and let it simmer for 3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken into a thin syrup consistency.
5. Return prawns to pan and toss to coat them in the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes until sauce is reduced and coats prawns nicely.
6. Garnish with fresh chilli, spring onions and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Cucumber Ribbon Salad
1 large Lebanese cucumber
1 red chilli – deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Slice Lebanese cucumber long ways using a vegetable peeler or mandolin into thin ribbons and lay flat in a bowl/container.
2. Put chilli, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, coriander and brown sugar into a mini food processor/chopper and blitz.
3. Pour over cucumber and leave it to marinate.
4. When serving, roll each ribbon up and place in a bowl and cover with some of the dressing. Top with some fresh Coriander.
1 cup uncooked Basmati Rice (long-grain white rice)
1 fresh lemongrass stem – bruised and cut into 6cm lengths
1½ cups water
Coriander to garnish
1. In a saucepan bring the water to boil.
2. Rinse the rice in a sieve 3 times under the tap to remove excess starch.
3. Once water is boiled add the lemongrass and rice, cover and lower heat and simmer for 12 mins.
4. Remove pan from heat and let it rest for 5-10mins.
5. Remove lemongrass.
6. Mold rice to serve and garnish with a coriander leaf.
Plate molded rice and arrange prawns on a plate. Don’t forget to garnish prawns with fresh chillies and spring onions and a squeeze of lime.
Serve with a side bowl of Cucumber Ribbon Salad.